Eyeliner is a bit of an obsession for me. If I was being banished to a desert island, I’d bring eyeliner. I have tried many application techniques, many kinds, many styles, and many brands. Recently I have tried to switch my beauty goods to natural and safe cosmetics – this has proven tricky for my eyeliner addiction. But finally I have found the perfect combination of products, application techniques, tips, and tricks that I’m excited to share with you.
- Jane Iredale Pencil Eyeliner in Black – This stuff is only $11/pencil, and has lasted me 2 to 2.5 months of daily eyeliner wear (with some touch-up applications for really long days). It is safe for your eyes, doesn’t tug when you apply, and is the darkest and most smudge-proof SAFE eyeliner I have found. I recommend buying Jane Iredale’s sharpener, it’s only $2.50 and it has done a great job of not “eating” my pencil up—which is important for a girl on a budget.
- ZuZu Luxe Liquid Eyeliner in Raven – At $14.95/bottle, it is a little more expensive then the pencil, but I think it will last a solid 3 to 4 months. This eyeliner is safe and free of harmful ingredients, the pigment is super intense, and the applicator is easy to use. Can you say win, win, win!
- Everyday Minerals Multi-Tasking Concealer – This fantastic mineral concealer is only $5 and lasts at least 8 months! It works great as a primer for your eyes, and hides dark circles and blemishes!
- Wash and dry your face. Apply moisturizer and eye cream. Always moisturize!
- If you are wearing foundation apply that as well.
- Using your (clean) fingertip apply concealer to your upper lids, the corners of your eyes, and under your eyes to hide dark circles.
- Take the sharpened Jane Iredale eyeliner pencil and draw a line on your upper lash line from your inner eye out. Get as close to your lash line as possible. It is best to work in one direction, but you can use little strokes to fill in and smooth out the line. The pencil doesn’t have to be perfect because we will be going over it with the liquid liner.
- Once you are happy with the width of your upper line, repeat the same process on your bottom eyelash line. To keep your eyes looking big, don’t bring the lower line all the way to your inner crease.
- Once you have lined both eyes with the pencil it is time to get a bold and long lasting look with the liquid eyeliner. Liquid eyeliner takes a little getting used to, but after a few tries you will be a pro (trust me I was scared for years to use liquid eyeliner, but now I’m kicking myself for not trying it sooner).
- Moving from the inner eye to the outer part of your eye, gently apply the ZuZu liquid liner to your upper eye tracing over your pencil. Maintaining fluid continuous strokes is key, but you will be able to apply another layer or touch up spots after you make the first line. When I get the liquid liner a little too high or out of my desired line, I simply take a clean finger or tissue and wipe it away. Once the liner dries you will need a makeup remover to carefully remove unwanted marks. So it is best to fix it as you go.
- Touch up any areas that aren’t dark enough and make sure your line thickness and shape matches.
- To finish up your defined eyes swipe some safe mascara onto your lashes. I love to use Ecco Bella FlowerColor Natural Mascara in black ($15 on Amazon, or Vitacost).
I really love the ZuZu Liquid Eyeliner with Jane Iredale’s Eye Pencil. It gives a dark, rich black pigment that stays put all day. They are a safer and more ethical alternative to my old favorites: Rimmel’s Exaggerate Eyeliner, M.A.C.’s Powerpoint Eyeliner, and Maybelline’s Gel Eyeliner.