At Y&L we have talked a lot about the importance of moisturizing, especially your face. But today we want to focus on giving the rest of your body some TLC. Soft, smooth, and hydrated skin keeps you looking and feeling great. But keeping your skin soft and hydrated gets complicated with the cooler and drier weather of the fall and winter months. For the longest time I would layer on store bought lotion daily (sometimes more than once!) thinking it was the best I could do to fight dry skin. And when I decided to switch to safe and natural body products, I looked into creating my own lotion. Recipes called for a long list of ingredients and the use of a stove… a little too much work for me given how much lotion I use. So I started considering a body oil—and now I am a body oil convert! It is so simple to make, and when you apply the oil before toweling off in the shower you seal in all that extra moisture. My skin is softer and happier than ever! If you’ve never used body oil as a daily moisturizer give this recipe a try. It’s very affordable compared to store bought brands and contains no harmful ingredients! You can use whichever essential oils you like to create a unique scent. Here is my recipe!
- 1/4 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup jojoba oil
- 1/4 cup almond oil
- 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil (feel free to mix or match just keep it around 15 drops total). I love mixing vanilla and orange essential oils for a sweet scent!
- Glass bottle, jar with a airtight top or stopper. I use a teal glass soap pump I purchased from Target to store my oil in!
- Depending on the temperature in your home, you may need to warm the coconut oil before you can easily pour it. Just put the jar of oil in a bowl of warm water or run it under hot water to liquefy it.
- Combine all three oils and the essential oils of your choice into the glass bottle, jar, or soap pump and shake it up!
- Apply your body oil after your shower before you towel off for optimal moisture retention!
What are your favorite scents for this body oil recipe?