Dry and dull winter skin is no fun. Exfoliating is essential to restoring your skin’s glow. We recommend using a homemade sugar scrub in the shower and follow with a body oil or your favorite lotion. Store the scrub in an airtight glass jar, or you could use a plastic container. If you find you love the recipe, this sugar scrub would also make the perfect gift for your sister, mom, aunt, or friends this holiday season. Just put the scrub in a pretty jar with a handmade label, and tie a little wooden spoon on for easy scooping! There are so many variations you could try with this recipe—using different base oils, mixing different combinations of essential oils, adding vitamin e, and the list goes on. Our recipe is for a sweet smelling scrub—it smells so sweet you’ll want to eat it (but we don’t recommend that)! All you need is a few ingredients, a glass storage jar, and about 5 minutes of your time!
- 1 cup brown sugar (we like to use organic fair trade brown sugar; you could also use 1/2 cup brown sugar with 1/2 cup white sugar)
- 1/2 cup almond oil (we prefer the milder scent of almond oil, but you could use olive oil, apricot oil, etc.)
- 1-2 tbsp honey (again we prefer organic!)
- 1 tsp vitamin e (optional – some people are sensitive to vitamin e)
- 6 drops vanilla essential oil
- 4-5 drops lemon or orange essential oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a storage jar (we prefer a glass jar) and store in your shower.
- When you are ready to refresh your skin use a clean spoon to scoop out scrub from the jar. Then use your hands or a wash cloth to gently rub in the scrub.
- Rinse when you are done and apply a body oil before toweling off.
Have you made sugar scrub before? What is your favorite scent combination?