Hello there ladies! Are you as excited for summer as we are at Y&L? What’s not to love about warm weather, backyard BBQ’s, and relaxing days at the pool? Well nothing except for makeup that melts, smears, and just doesn’t stay put… Don’t worry though, we’ve got you covered with a few tricks that will keep your eye makeup in place even in the hot summer sun! Oh and be sure to tune in next week when we share some tips for keeping your concealer and foundation set!
So some of the major makeup issues during the summer include: melting eye makeup, greasy lids, and concealer that collects in your creases.
To Combat Greasy Lids:
- Apply a primer. We love this affordable Magic Vegan Eye Shadow Primer by The All Natural Face (just $7/bottle).
- Apply eye shadow or finishing powder. After you apply a primer, if you have particularly greasy lids or it’s a humid day add some double insurance and apply a shadow or finishing powder, this helps to set the product. You can go with a nude option, or your favorite color. We love the Pure and Natural Tinted Finishing Veil by Willow Tree Minerals on Etsy (just $13.95)
For Under Eye Concealer That Stays Put:
- Make sure you moisturize first and let it dry. To keep your concealer from looking cakey you always want to apply moisturizer to your eyes, and give it time to dry.
- Apply a generous amount of creamy under eye concealer. Using a concealer brush and a cream concealer 1-2 shades lighter than your foundation apply the concealer under your eyes. Start at the inner corner of your eye up towards where the inner brow starts. Continue by making a half moon shape following the lower lash line all the way to the outer corner of the eye. Blend the concealer using your finger tips. We love Erzulie Mineral Erase Cream in Light/Medium Light (just $8.50/pot).
- Set the concealer with a mineral powder concealer. To keep the concealer in place it’s best to set it with a generous amount of concealing mineral powder. Our favorite is Pure and Natural Mineral Concealer in Beauty Sleep from Willow Tree Minerals ($10/pot). This product has just the right amount of light reflecting minerals to hide under eye circles! Press the powder into the concealer starting at the inner corner and brush across the under eye area, sweeping off any extra.
For Eye Liner That Doesn’t Melt:
- Start with a pencil. After you’ve primed and applied shadow it’s time to apply liner. When you want eyeliner that lasts you need to apply a few layers of product. It’s best to start with a pencil along your upper lash line (and bottom lashes too if you wear it there). We love Jane Iredale’s Eye Pencil in Black ($11 per stick). Just make sure you let the pencil set for a little bit.
- Apply a liquid liner next. After you’ve applied the pencil, trace your line with a liquid liner and allow it to dry. We love ZuZu Luxe’s Liquid Liner in Raven ($14 a bottle).
- Set your liner with a shadow in the same shade. Using an eyeliner brush dip it into a shadow or powder eyeliner the same shade as your liquid or pencil. Lightly dab it onto your eyeliner line. DO NOT DRAG IT ALONG THE LINE. Just dab and press, moving along your lashes. This helps to set the product. We love Pure and Natural Mineral Eye Liner in Charcoal Crush by Willow Tree Minerals on Etsy (just $5.95).
What tips and tricks do you have for keeping your eye makeup in place during the summer months?