Whew… it’s Thursday already? This week went by so quickly… which isn’t a bad thing! Today we’ve got a recipe to share from the amazing book, Organic Body Care Recipes by Stepahnie Tourles. If you’ve struggled with acne, or even if you just get the occasional breakout this recipe may be just the cure you’ve been searching for. A word of caution though, acne is a tricky beast. We tend to OVER-treat our skin. In general less is more, and the same holds true for skin care. So try to use fewer creams, fewer washes, fewer scrubs, containing fewer ingredients. It’s important to be gentle to your skin. The hardest part of treating acne is finding the patience to wait. It just takes time, months even, for your skin to rid itself of all the built up bacteria and regenerate.
Okay, enough lecture 😉 onto the spot treatment. This recipe is great for “active” breakouts because it helps to fight subsurface acneic bacteria, reducing redness and eliminating toxins in your skin. It’s also fantastic to use on ingrown hairs around your bikini line! You can apply up to 2 times/day and the recipe is good to store for up to 6 months.
- 4 drops tea tree oil
- 2 drops clove essential oil
- 2 drops German chamomile essential oil
- 2 drops green myrtle essential oil
- 2 tsp. hazelnut or apricot kernel base oil (try to choose organic when possible)
- 1 tsp almond base oil (again, go for organic if you can)
- 1 dark glass storage bottle with a dropper (you can find these at many health food stores like Whole Foods)
- Make sure the glass bottle is cleaned and dry.
- Add the essential oils drop by drop into the glass bottle.
- Add the base oils (use a funnel if that helps)
- Put the lid back on the bottle then shake the formula in your hand vigorously for 2 minutes. This thoroughly mixes the ingredients and warms the mixture to body temperature.
- This step requires some patience… set the bottle in a dark spot (like a medicine cabinet or drawer) and let it sit for 24 hours to let the oils really blend.
- To use: clean your skin, and apply any astringent or toner that is part of your routine. Then drop 1-2 drops of the blemish banner into your palm, dip a cotton swab into the oil and dab onto each breakout. You could also drop 1 drop on the cotton swab itself and then apply.
Again this recipe works well for treating acne, ingrown hairs, and even bug bites! So give it a try and let us know what you think! Have a beautiful weekend 🙂